What should I do after tooth removal and extraction?

After tooth removal and extraction, you should be very careful about the wound in your mouth. Most activities are geared toward the avoidance of dislodging the blood clot on the wound, which would result in a painful condition called dry socket. For the first 24 hours after surgery, you should rest. Also, in the first 24 hours, you should not eat anything but very soft foods (like pudding), not drink certain beverages (such as those with caffeine, alcohol, carbonation, or are hot), rinse your mouth or brush your teeth, or smoke. After 24 hours, you can start to resume your normal activities, brush your teeth (gently), rinse your mouth with a salt water rinse every two hours and after meals, and eat semisoft foods once you feel ready. You should also not drink with a straw, eat spicy or hard foods, or chew tobacco for at least a week.

You may experience bruising, pain, and bleeding around the area of the extracted tooth. This is normal in the first few days, but if it persists, you should let your oral surgeon or dentist know, as you could be experiencing complications. Make sure you are also aware of whether you need to make an appointment to have your stitches removed.

After the extraction, your dentist will advise you of what post extraction regimen to follow. Ask your dentist about pain medication. You can brush and floss the other teeth as usual. But don't clean the teeth next to the tooth socket.

Four things should be done after a tooth extraction. First, do not smoke. Second, bite on gauze for 1 hour. Third, do not drink through a straw or spit. Finally, rinse with warm salt water morning and night for the next week. 

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

How should I prepare for my tooth removal and extraction?
Before having your tooth removal and extraction, you should discuss the specifics of the surgery wit...
How are dental implants placed in the mouth after tooth extraction?
Dental implants require to place an anchor in your mouth. It may take up to six months before the bo...
What should be done after the first 24 hours of wisdom tooth extraction?
Rest and engage in quiet activities for the first 24 hours after having a tooth extracted. You can e...
Is there follow-up required for tooth removal and extraction?
In some cases, you may need to attend follow up visits for your tooth removal and extraction, but in...