Can I eat and drink after a tooth extraction?

Yes, but I advise my patients not to eat anything too hot, spicy, or crunchy for 24 hours after an extraction. Do not drink through a straw for 24 hours after a tooth has been pulled because it can unseat the clot and make you more susceptible to a dry socket.
While your mouth is numb after a tooth extraction, you'll want to be careful not to bite your cheek, lip or tongue. For this reason, it is important that you do not have any foods that require chewing while your mouth is numb.

If you have liquid foods, it is very important that you do not drink through a straw. The sucking action that occurs when a straw is used may loosen the blood clot that forms in the tooth socket after an extraction. This clot is an important part of the normal healing process. 

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

What are the ways that I can have a tooth extracted?
Tooth extractions can be performed by simple extraction or by surgery.
When should I call my doctor after tooth removal and extraction?
Some bleeding, pain, swelling, and bruising is normal in the few days following your tooth removal a...
How should I best prepare for a surgical tooth extraction?
If you are having a surgical tooth extraction, stop eating or drinking about six to eight hours befo...
Is there follow-up required for tooth removal and extraction?
In some cases, you may need to attend follow up visits for your tooth removal and extraction, but in...