Can I eat and drink after a tooth extraction?

While your mouth is numb after a tooth extraction, you'll want to be careful not to bite your cheek, lip or tongue. For this reason, it is important that you do not have any foods that require chewing while your mouth is numb.

If you have liquid foods, it is very important that you do not drink through a straw. The sucking action that occurs when a straw is used may loosen the blood clot that forms in the tooth socket after an extraction. This clot is an important part of the normal healing process. 

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction