When should I call my dentist for problems after a tooth extraction?

You should call your dentist if your swelling gets worse or if you have a fever, chills, redness, or uncontrolled bleeding. Also, call your dentist if you have trouble swallowing or if your tongue, chin or lip feel numb. If the pain gets worse, call your dentist because you may have a condition called dry socket.

If you have pain that does not go away with the pain medications prescribed or if you have bleeding that does not stop you should call your dentist. If you have a swelling that is increasing or have a fever that is not coming down you need to call your dentist. 

It is important to contact your dentist immediately if you experience problems following a tooth extraction. While a little bleeding is normal, heavy or regular bleeding is not. Pain or swollen areas can also be an indication of problems.

The area must clot in order to properly heal and fill in the area. 

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

What steps can I take to prevent the need for a tooth extraction?
Rita MedwidRita Medwid
Prevention is the key with tooth brushing and especially flossing. Take the floss below the gum line...
More Answers
What is a wisdom tooth extraction?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Every patient is unique, but in general, wisdom teeth may need to be removed when there is evidence ...
More Answers
When should I call my doctor after tooth removal and extraction?
Some bleeding, pain, swelling, and bruising is normal in the few days following your tooth removal a...
More Answers
Should I avoid certain activities following a surgical tooth extraction?
After a surgical tooth extraction, you should avoid using a straw and avoid smoking so the blood clo...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.