When should I call my dentist for problems after a tooth extraction?

It is important to contact your dentist immediately if you experience problems following a tooth extraction. While a little bleeding is normal, heavy or regular bleeding is not. Pain or swollen areas can also be an indication of problems.

The area must clot in order to properly heal and fill in the area. 

If you have pain that does not go away with the pain medications prescribed or if you have bleeding that does not stop you should call your dentist. If you have a swelling that is increasing or have a fever that is not coming down you need to call your dentist. 

You should call your dentist if your swelling gets worse or if you have a fever, chills, redness, or uncontrolled bleeding. Also, call your dentist if you have trouble swallowing or if your tongue, chin or lip feel numb. If the pain gets worse, call your dentist because you may have a condition called dry socket.

Continue Learning about Tooth Extraction

How should I prepare for my tooth removal and extraction?
Before having your tooth removal and extraction, you should discuss the specifics of the surgery wit...
Will I have to be put to sleep to have a surgical tooth extraction?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
You should not require sedation for a tooth extraction. Prior to a tooth extraction, your dentist wi...
What are the ways that I can have a tooth extracted?
There are typically two types of extractions: simple extraction and surgical extraction. A simple ex...
How are dental implants placed in the mouth after tooth extraction?
There are generally three phases to getting an implant: First, the dentist surgically places the imp...