How can I lower the risk of tooth erosion from acid reflux?

To lower your risk of tooth erosion from acid reflux, avoid  spicy foods and other foods that may cause your episodes. Don't brush your teeth for an hour of having acid reflux; instead rinse with water. Try letting a sugar-free antacid dissolve in your mouth or chewing sugarless gums or candies.
Rita Medwid
Dentist

Avoid brushing your teeth for at least 20 minutes If you brush, you will be scrubbing the acid deeper into the tooth. The acid will eat away at the enamel and weaken the tooth. Try to rinse out your mouth with alcohol-free mouthwash, or warm water mixed with baking soda. Chew sugar-free gum, preferably sweetened with Xylitol. Xylitol is a natural sweetener that decreases the bacterial count in your mouth. Try dissolving a sour sugar-free hard candy in your mouth. This will stimulate the natural flow of saliva that will neutralize the acid. Many drugstores sell a dry mouth spray, or gel if you have decreased saliva. These also will help neutralize and balance the ph. See your dentist for a fluoride treatment that will help rebuild the enamel, as well as getting a take home treatment that will help re-mineralize the enamel. Purchase some over the counter toothpaste that says it helps harden or rebuild the enamel. Many are specifically made to prevent acid erosion.

Continue Learning about Tooth Enamel Erosion

Are seniors at risk of tooth erosion?
Saliva production decreases as you get older, putting many seniors at a higher risk of tooth dec...
What causes a pica eating disorder that leads to tooth erosion?
Pica eating disorder is associated with depression, stress and anxiety and comes from an iron de...
What can I do about sensitivity from tooth erosion?
If your teeth have become sensitive, you should try brushing them with a toothpaste that  reduce...
How do I prevent tooth erosion?
To prevent tooth erosion, cut back on the amount of acid in your diet. Drink fewer carbonated so...