What is ageusia?

Ageusia is a loss of the sense of taste. The taste buds are tiny bumps that lie on the surface of the tongue and send different flavors to the brain. People with ageusia may have impaired taste buds, typically due to dry mouth, or they may have damage in the nerves that transfers the senses of taste and smell to the brain. Rarely, people could have ageusia because the area of their brain that recognizes the sense of taste is damaged. Although ageusia is not common, many people who have lost their sense of smell think they might have ageusia since the senses of taste and smell are closely related in the brain. Based on what the cause is, ageusia may be short-term or permanent.

Continue Learning about Tooth & Mouth Disorders

How is gum graft surgery performed?
Gum graft surgery is performed by removing tissue from another part of the mouth and sewing it in pl...
How is gum recession treated?
Teresa L. Destefano, DMDTeresa L. Destefano, DMD
When I detect very early signs of gum recession, I counsel my patients on the proper way to brush. A...
What destroys dental pulp?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Bacteria destroys dental pulp. As soon as bacteria get into this sterile pulp, it dies. The necr...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?