What increases my risk for temporomandibular disorder (TMD)?

Your risk for temporomandibular disorder (TMD), a condition affecting your jaw bones, increases based on your age and gender. TMD is more common among women between ages 30 and 50. If you have a jaw injury or deformity where your jaw doesn't work properly or your teeth don't align properly, you are more likely to develop TMD. It also occurs more often in people with rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, or sleep disorders. You may also be at greater risk of TMD if you grind your teeth.
There are a variety of causes as well as risk factors for TMD. Women between the ages of 30 and 50 have higher incidences of TMD. Being under stress is a risk factor, as it may lead to jaw clenching and teeth grinding. Physical problems, like poorly aligned teeth, arthritis of the jaw, a dislocated jaw, or an inflamed temporomandibular joint will increase the risk of developing TMD. Dentures that fit poorly also increase the risk.

Continue Learning about Tooth & Mouth Disorders

What types of bacteria live in the mouth?
The human mouth contains many different types of bacteria. That's not all bad news: some bacteria in...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with TMD?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you are caring for someone with TMD, it's crucial that they are properly diagnosed before you beg...
How can I correct my ageusia?
To correct your ageusia, talk to your doctor. Often the inability to taste flavors is caused by a dr...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?