What can happen to my teeth if I have receding gums?

When teeth are healthy, gum tissue fits around each tooth like a shirt cuff fits around a wrist. In a tooth with gum recession, the gum tissue has pulled away from the tooth, like a shirt sleeve that is rolled up. This can leave the tooth root exposed. Since the root surface does not have an enamel covering and is softer than the crown (top) of the tooth, the tooth may become sensitive to hot and cold. Also, the exposed tooth root is more at risk for decay.
Duc Tang, DDS
Dentist
Receding gums can cause sensitivity in your teeth and the exposed root surfaces are more prone to caries. But the cause of the recession needs to be determined and treated appropriately. 

Are your gums receding, because there is bone loss? Abrasion? Occlusion Issues? etc.

Continue Learning about Tooth & Mouth Disorders

How is gum recession treated?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
The treatment for gum recession (when the gums shrink, or pull away from, the teeth) depends on ...
Are temporomandibular disorders (TMD) permanent?
Temporomandibular disorders typically are resolved with a treatment program in only a few months...
What is ligament pain in teeth?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
If a tooth is traumatized, the ligament around the tooth becomes wider, increasing the mobility and ...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?