How is gum graft surgery performed?

Gum graft surgery is performed by removing tissue from another part of the mouth and sewing it in place to the area around the teeth where tissue is receding. This usually comes from the roof of the mouth, and involves the skin or the connective tissue below it. Skin around the teeth can also be cut and stretched.
Soft-tissue graft surgery (called gingival or gum grafts) helps create more attached gum to prevent gum recession from progressing and to help regenerate and re-establish root coverage.

During a tissue graft, the dentist removes a thin piece of gum tissue from the roof of the patient's mouth or another site in the mouth and grafts it to the site where the gum tissue has receded. In some cases, freeze-dried tissue products or synthetic membranes may be used.

Tissue grafts may be performed around one or more teeth. Creating gum tissue reduces the likelihood of further recession, helps cover exposed roots, enhances the appearance of the gum line and prevents or treats root sensitivity.

Continue Learning about Tooth & Mouth Disorders

Why does my mouth twitch?
Uncontrollable spasms or contractions of the muscles around the mouth are called muscle tics or twit...
How do I manage temporomandibular disorder (TMD) on a daily basis?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
There are several treatments for TMJ disorders which include: eating softer foodsavoiding ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my temporomandibular disorder symptoms?
Yes, especially if are experiencing pain, which is a primary symptom of many temporomandibular disor...
Can Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?