Will I need surgery for my tongue spasm?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Surgery is not usually a treatment for tongue spasm. This condition is usually treated with medication, and it sometimes goes away on its own. Talk to your doctor to find the best treatment option for you.

Surgery is not always necessary to treat tongue spasm, a condition in which the tongue often moves rapidly in different directions. Treatments also include anti-seizure medications or injections with botulinum toxin (commonly called Botox). If these treatments don’t bring relief, you may be referred for surgery, especially if there is evidence that something is pressing against a nerve in your tongue. 

Continue Learning about Tongue Spasm

Will my tongue spasm go away?
Your tongue spasm may not go away. Tongue spasm can have a variety of causes. All tongue spasm cases...
Do tongue spasms affect children as well as adults?
Tongue spasms are a form of dystonia, a condition that can affect people of all ages. Aging can ...
How can I prepare to discuss my tongue spasms with my doctor?
To prepare for your appointment, make a list of important questions to ask your doctor. You might wa...
Are tongue spasms serious?
Depending on the cause of your tongue spasm, the condition can be serious. In some cases, tongue spa...