How can I help my toddler learn?

Experts agree that a huge amount of your child’s cognitive development occurs before the age of three, long before he even enters school. The neurological connections made during the first three years affect how children organize and coordinate information, how they reason, and how they come to solve problems. That means your child’s experiences in the first few years of life are crucial to his future success in school and in life. So, you really are your child’s first and most important teacher!

The more interactive and language-rich you can make your child’s preschool environment, the better. By consistently asking questions, explaining answers, and engaging in conversation, you provide the stimulation your child needs. Children who are continually stimulated by language tend to score higher on intellectual and language tests. Formal schooling then builds on the foundation that you and the other caregivers in your child’s life help form in early childhood.

From Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children by Jennifer Trachtenberg.

Good Kids, Bad Habits: The RealAge Guide to Raising Healthy Children

When kids start going on TV binges or devouring fistfuls of cookies, it's easy to say, "They'll grow out of it." More likely, they're acquiring bad habits that could lead to childhood obesity and...

Continue Learning about Toddlers Development

Toddlers and Tech: How Young Is Too Young?
The first years of a child’s life are crucial for development. It’s when they learn how to communicate and connect with other people and to interact w...
What are ways to help a toddler develop?
The following tips can help with your toddler's development: Kids learn more from nonverbal signa...
What are important cognitive milestones for my one year old?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
One-year-old children are curious about most everything and try hard to explore the world around the...
For a Smarter Toddler, Skip the Junk Food