How often should I get my teeth whitened?

In-office (chair side) teeth whitening usually keeps your smile white for about a year. Teeth whitening with take-home products from your dentist usually lasts for several months. Most people find they need a touch-up every four to six months. Teeth whitening with over-the-counter (OTC) products usually lasts for a couple of months before you need a touch-up.
How often you can have your teeth whitened depends on how you're doing it. You should limit yourself to a two-week treatment, or get a dentist to do it and follow it up with a week or two of doing it yourself. Doing it every day is a mistake.

When you bleach your teeth -- the most common cosmetic procedure in the United States -- hydrogen peroxide is used to remove stains and make your teeth appear whiter. While teeth whitening is safe, there are some dangers. Some whitening products can take off your teeth's enamel and wear it so thin that you can actually see through your teeth. Your gums can also be damaged.

Instead of whitening your teeth every day, you should floss.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Teeth Whitening