Is professional teeth whitening painful?

Jonathan B. Levine, DMD
Prosthodontics
Some awkwardness might be involved with professional teeth whitening, but pain should not. If there's pain, it means that your practitioner is doing something wrong, and it probably has to do with gum exposure. Be sure that the hygienist covers your gums completely, making sure that everything is sealed off and protected.
Professional teeth whitening is usually a painless procedure, with no more discomfort than a general cleaning.

The most common type of tooth whitening uses a gel-like whitening solution that contains some form of hydrogen peroxide.

Your dentist uses a more powerful whitening gel and a specialized light or laser to activate the gel and to speed the process of bleaching.
Not usually. Some patients, about 10-15%, will experience tooth sensitivity during and after teeth whitening procedures. A small percentage of patients will not be able to tolerate the procedure. If your teeth are sensitive to cold or sweets before whitening, you may also be sensitive to the bleach used for tooth whitening. It is important to note that the sensitivity from the whitening procedure is temporary and does not damage the teeth when used as directed by your dentist.

Continue Learning about Teeth Whitening

Teeth Whitening Tips and Secrets
Teeth Whitening Tips and Secrets
Do you want a dazzling, movie-star smile but you're not sure how to go about getting it? Are you curious to know how over-the-counter teeth whitening ...
Am I a good candidate for teeth whitening?
Stephen HandisidesStephen Handisides
Tooth whitening is one of the most popular cosmetic dental procedures. Quick and easy to perform, it...
Can baking soda and lemon juice be used as a teeth whitener?
Baking soda and lemon juice have been touted as great natural, at-home teeth whiteners. But there's ...
Are There Natural Ways to Whiten My Teeth?