Is tooth whitening safe?

Many tooth whitening procedures are perfectly safe as long as they are performed correctly. Regardless of which procedure you choose, you should consult your dentist before trying anything. They will be able to tell you whether or not the procedures you plan to use will damage your teeth or cause problems with your gums. If you want to whiten your teeth at home, look for whitening products that have been approved by the American Dental Association (ADA). The ADA only approves products that are safe to use, but it is still up to you to follow the instructions for the procedure you choose. Over bleaching your teeth or bleaching them incorrectly could cause problems down the road.
The ADA advises patients to first consult with their dentist to determine the most appropriate treatment for whitening. A thorough oral examination by a dentist is essential to determine if bleaching is an appropriate course of treatment. This is especially important for patients with many fillings, crowns, and extremely dark stains on their teeth. 

Several whitening toothpastes that are available over-the-counter (OTC) have received the ADA Seal of Acceptance, which means they have been thoroughly tested for safety and effectiveness.

Continue Learning about Teeth Whitening

Will bleaching my teeth make them sensitive?
Gregory J. Jorgensen, DMDGregory J. Jorgensen, DMD
Everyone is different. Some are sensitive to the bleaching procedure, some are not. In my experience...
Should I have a dental exam before tooth whitening?
Gerald P. Curatola, DDSGerald P. Curatola, DDS
You should be sure your mouth is in good dental condition prior to teeth whitening. Your dentist can...
What are the disadvantages of using whitening toothpaste?
Stronger whitening toothpastes use abrasion to remove the outer layer of teeth and reveal a newe...
How should I use OTC tooth whiteners?
Because there are so many different types and combinations of OTC tooth whiteners, there are als...