Does teeth whitening hurt?

The most common complaint heard with tooth whitening (no matter what type is used) is sensitive teeth. In order to whiten your teeth, the active ingredient needs to penetrate the tooth structure. The microscopic openings it creates are what increases tooth sensitivity. In most cases, the sensitivity will subside within a few days after you stop whitening. 

If the product is used incorrectly (too much), you may also have sensitive gums as a result of the excess product. 

If you're experiencing something more than sensitivity, you should see your dentist.
Roya Arbab, DDS
Prosthodontics

Transient temperature sensitivity is a common side effect of teeth whitening. Depending on the system of bleaching used, and the strength of the bleaching agent, you may be more or less sensitive. Most bleaching solutions have desensitizing agents in them to help with this side effect.

Continue Learning about Teeth Whitening

Teeth Whitening Tips and Secrets
Teeth Whitening Tips and Secrets
Do you want a dazzling, movie-star smile but you're not sure how to go about getting it? Are you curious to know how over-the-counter teeth whitening ...
Is tooth whitening safe?
Gerald P. Curatola, DDSGerald P. Curatola, DDS
While teeth whitening has been generally accepted as a safe and effective treatment, there is the po...
What are the risks of tooth whitening?
Because tooth whitening products use hydrogen peroxide, they can cause some irritation and sensitivi...
Are There Natural Ways to Whiten My Teeth?