What is dental pulp?

Stanislav Moline
Endodontics
Dental pulp is the soft and most inner part of each tooth.

It contains blood vessels, nerves, and cells, but no lymphatic tissue. It nourishes the tooth from inside and helps you to know the food temperature. It also where the "building blocks" for tooth hard structures come from. Pulp also helps to protect the tooth by providing sensation when there is a cavity, and by building a protective layer (reparative dentin) away from the cavity. 
Dental pulp is the soft tissue that contains nerves, blood vessels and connective tissue. It lies within the tooth and extends from the crown of the tooth to the tip of the root in the bone of the jaws.
Dental pulp is the soft tissue at the center of a tooth. It contains blood vessels, nerves, and connective fibers. Above the gum, the pulp is covered by a layer of hard material called dentin, which in turn is covered by a layer of even harder tissue called enamel. Below the gum, the pulp continues in narrow canals into the roots of the teeth. If pulp becomes infected, it may need to be removed in a process called root canal therapy, commonly known as having a root canal.
Jonathan B. Levine, DMD
Prosthodontics
Dental pulp is situated at the heart of the tooth and is first and foremost the blood supplier to the tooth. Blood travels from the pulp down to the dentin along mini pipelines called, odontoblastic tubules, delivering nourishment. Along with feeding the dentin, it’s also the pulp’s job to transmit nerve impulses to the dentin.
Smile!: The Ultimate Guide to Achieving Smile Beauty

Renowned dentist and creator of the GoSMILE product line Dr. Levine offers this complete guide to getting a whiter, brighter smile. 15 photos & illustrations.

Continue Learning about Teeth Basics

What is a minor tooth fracture?
Minor tooth fractures can be easily treated by a dentist. Sometimes, minor fractures do not need to ...
What is pericoronitis?
Pericoronitis occurs when the gums around the molars become swollen and infected. Periocoronitis...
What are the parts of a tooth?
HealthCorpsHealthCorps
The structure of a tooth is as follows: The crown is the hard part of the tooth that you can see...
What can my dentist determine about my smile by looking at me head-on?
By looking at you head-on, your dentist can assess your bite. An improper bite can make it hard to c...