What are canine teeth used for?

Canines, also called eyeteeth or cuspids, are teeth used for ripping and tearing at foods that might be tough, such as meat. You have a total of four of them, located next to your four top front teeth and your four bottom teeth. Canines, which come to a single sharp point, are the longest and most stable teeth in your mouth.
Jonathan B. Levine, DMD
Prosthodontics
Also called the cuspids, and also called the eyeteeth, canine teeth are next to the premolars. Each of the quadrants has one canine. Though they may be smaller than animal canines, they are nevertheless the strongest and most stable of all of our teeth. Canines are critical because they help separate the back teeth from excessive amounts of force when you're chewing. They're often referred to as the transition teeth since they create the bifurcation between the front teeth and the back teeth. Their positioning is also critical in making sure that a bite works smoothly and efficiently (in dental verbiage, your bite is called your occlusion). In spite of their power and strength, canines commonly suffer from gum recession because of their prominence in the gum's arch.
Smile!: The Ultimate Guide to Achieving Smile Beauty

Renowned dentist and creator of the GoSMILE product line Dr. Levine offers this complete guide to getting a whiter, brighter smile. 15 photos & illustrations.

Continue Learning about Teeth Basics

What should I tell a cosmetic dentist about my desire to change my smile?
Dr. Supriya VermaDr. Supriya Verma
You must tell your Cosmetic Dentist exactly what you don't like about your smile. Be specific as pos...
How does saliva affect plaque buildup on the teeth?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Saliva plays an important role in the development and maintenance of a healthy plaque biofilm. P...
What is a gingival sulcus?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
Between each tooth is a little space that extends ever-so-slightly up within the gum line betwee...
How Many Years Can I Add to My Life By Taking Care of My Teeth?