What are the health benefits of vitamin C for teens?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
Vitamin C helps body cells, including those in the bones, teeth, gums, and blood vessels, grow and stay healthy. It also helps your body respond to infection and stress, keeping you healthy even when you're struggling to meet deadlines.
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...
Dr. Anita Gupta
Anesthesiology
Vitamin C is an essential nutrient that can be acquired by eating plenty of vegetables and fruits. It is needed to form collagen, the most abundant protein in the human body, which makes tendons, ligaments, skin, bone, muscle, cartilage, blood vessels, and scar tissue. Vitamin C is not only extremely important for growth and repair of body tissues, but also for healing wounds and maintaining healthy teeth and gums. It also acts as an antioxidant, a nutrient that prevents damage caused by the formation of free radicals in the presence of tobacco smoke or radiation. Foods that are good Vitamin C sources include citrus fruits (oranges, grapefruits), melons (cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon), kiwis, mangoes, pineapples, papayas, berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries), broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, green and red peppers, leafy greens (spinach, cabbage, kale), potatoes, and tomatoes. Male teens 14-18 years old should have 75 mg of Vitamin C per day while female teens 14-18 should consume 65 mg per day.  Men 19 and older should have 90 mg per day while women 19 and older should have 75 mg per day. Teenagers are often preoccupied with school, work, and spending time with friends that they often forget to include veggies and fruits into their meals. However, a teenager’s body is still growing and is in need of Vitamin C for growth and development. A teenager's diet should be abundant in fruits and vegetables to ensure proper health.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Nutrition and Healthy Eating

How does drinking at college affect my health?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
Lawn parties, frat parties, club parties -- you can find a party any night of the week, if you'r...
How can I avoid unhealthy late-night eating at college?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
The following tips will help you avoid unhealthy college eating habits late at night: If you're ...
As a Teen, Should I Drink Energy Drinks?
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium