What are the health benefits of vitamin C for teens?

Dr. Anita Gupta
Anesthesiology
Vitamin C is an essential nutrient that can be acquired by eating plenty of vegetables and fruits. It is needed to form collagen, the most abundant protein in the human body, which makes tendons, ligaments, skin, bone, muscle, cartilage, blood vessels, and scar tissue. Vitamin C is not only extremely important for growth and repair of body tissues, but also for healing wounds and maintaining healthy teeth and gums. It also acts as an antioxidant, a nutrient that prevents damage caused by the formation of free radicals in the presence of tobacco smoke or radiation. Foods that are good Vitamin C sources include citrus fruits (oranges, grapefruits), melons (cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon), kiwis, mangoes, pineapples, papayas, berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, cranberries), broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, green and red peppers, leafy greens (spinach, cabbage, kale), potatoes, and tomatoes. Male teens 14-18 years old should have 75 mg of Vitamin C per day while female teens 14-18 should consume 65 mg per day.  Men 19 and older should have 90 mg per day while women 19 and older should have 75 mg per day. Teenagers are often preoccupied with school, work, and spending time with friends that they often forget to include veggies and fruits into their meals. However, a teenager’s body is still growing and is in need of Vitamin C for growth and development. A teenager's diet should be abundant in fruits and vegetables to ensure proper health.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Nutrition and Healthy Eating

As a teen, what kinds of diets should I avoid?
As a teen, what kinds of diets should I avoid? You should avoid diets high in sugars and saturated f...
Why do college students eat unhealthy foods?
Why do college students eat unhealthy foods? College students eat unhealthy foods because it is usua...
Why do I look bigger despite eating less?
Why do I look bigger despite eating less? When you starve your body, certain predictable changes occ...
What foods are good sources of protein for teens?
What foods are good sources of protein for teens? Good sources of protein are lean meats, fish, poul...