How can drinking tea help relieve stress?

Andy Puddicombe
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Drinking tea -- and the ritual that accompanies it -- is a wonderful exercise in meditation and awareness. In this video, I will explain how building a ritual around a cup of tea relieves stress and promotes zen.
Chris Kilham
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Drinking green tea can help reduce stress in that it contains an amino acid that produces a calming effect, and the act of drinking tea can be a relaxing ritual. Watch "Medicine Hunter" Chris Kilham discuss the benefits of drinking a cup of tea. 
Brad Lamm
Addiction Medicine

Drinking tea can relieve stress and boost your mood due to its aroma; the pleasing scent of tea, herbs or cacao nibs can tickle your senses in a positive way. Watch as health educator and interventionist Brad Lamm discusses how tea can promote calm.

Any warm drink is a super stress soother, and curling up with a cup of aromatic jasmine tea can make the whole day go away. But with tea, it’s not just the warmth at work. Skin-friendly tea also has two magic antistress ingredients: L-theanine, an amino acid that produces a relaxed but alert frame of mind, and catechins, antioxidants that, among other things, lower corticosterone, a stress hormone.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Tea & Health

On Dr. Oz: Best Weight-Loss Teas
On Dr. Oz: Best Weight-Loss Teas
Looking to lose weight? Then it’s tea time. The benefits of drinking tea are well known. Both black and green teas are rich in antioxidants that help ...
Why should I avoid making my own herbal teas?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Because of the potential harmful effects of herbal teas, be careful about using herbs to make yo...
How does matcha green tea boost metabolism?
Matcha green tea contains the polyphenol EGCG, a thermogenic component believed to boost metabolism....
What Are the Health Benefits of Drinking Matcha Green Tea?