What are the symptoms of secondary bacterial infections?

Symptoms of secondary bacterial infections are the same as bacterial infections that occur on their own, except they happen simultaneously with or right after treatment for another infection. "Secondary" usually indicates symptoms are more severe and/or prolonged. With secondary bacterial infections, fevers will often run higher and longer than with general infections. A runny nose that persists for longer than a couple of weeks may indicate sinusitis, while ear pain points toward an ear infection. Persistent cough and trouble breathing may mean a secondary infection of pneumonia.

Continue Learning about Symptoms Of Bacterial Infections

Should I talk to my doctor about my typhus symptoms?
If you think you may have contracted typhus, you need to tell your doctor as soon as possible. The e...
How should I prepare for my doctor's appointment for diphtheria?
Before visiting the office, call your doctor to find out whether or not you should go directly t...
Should I talk to my doctor about my MRSA symptoms?
Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), like any staph infection, is a serious condition...
What are the symptoms of subdural empyema?
The symptoms of subdural empyema may include headache, fever, blurred vision, confusion, nausea, vom...