Is listeriosis serious?

The severity of listeriosis depends on who you are. If you are an otherwise healthy adult who becomes infected with listeriosis, your case probably won't be serious and you may not even know you're affected. If you're an older adult or have a compromised immune system, there's a greater chance that your infection will spread in your body and become a more serious illness like septicemia or meningitis. If you're a pregnant woman, listeriosis is cause for serious concern, as even mild cases in the mother can result in very serious complications for the baby, up to and including death.

Continue Learning about Symptoms Of Bacterial Infections

How can I tell if my cat carries the bacteria for cat scratch disease?
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, about 40 percent of all cats carry t...
What is Whipple's disease?
Whipple's disease is a multi-system, infectious, bacterial disease that interferes with the body's a...
Does diphtheria affect children differently than adults?
Diphtheria does not discriminate. It affects children and adults in the same manner. They exhibi...
How common is toxic shock syndrome?
Toxic shock syndrome is a rare, yet potentially fatal condition. In the past, it was most common...