Is listeriosis serious?

The severity of listeriosis depends on who you are. If you are an otherwise healthy adult who becomes infected with listeriosis, your case probably won't be serious and you may not even know you're affected. If you're an older adult or have a compromised immune system, there's a greater chance that your infection will spread in your body and become a more serious illness like septicemia or meningitis. If you're a pregnant woman, listeriosis is cause for serious concern, as even mild cases in the mother can result in very serious complications for the baby, up to and including death.

Continue Learning about Symptoms Of Bacterial Infections

Does diphtheria affect children differently than adults?
Diphtheria does not discriminate. It affects children and adults in the same manner. They exhibi...
Should I talk to my doctor about my cholera symptoms?
If you have recently traveled to or are still in a country where cholera is common and you start to ...
Should I talk to my doctor about cellulitis symptoms?
If you have symptoms of cellulitis (redness, swelling, heat, and soreness in a limited area), you sh...
Should I talk to my doctor about my cat scratch disease symptoms?
Cat scratch disease (CSD) is not a very serious infection and can heal on its own with time. Lymph n...