How long am I contagious if I have swine flu?

If you have swine flu (H1N1), you are contagious from about a day before your symptoms begin until your symptoms are gone - about eight days or so. You should limit your contact with other people while you have symptoms, to avoid spreading the disease.

If you have swine flu (also called H1N1 flu), you can infect other people for five to seven days after you become sick. You are also contagious one day before you feel symptoms of the infection.

Continue Learning about H1N1 (Swine Flu)

How long will I be contagious if I have the H1N1 flu?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
If you have the H1N1 virus, you are contagious (meaning that you are able to spread the disease) typ...
What causes swine flu?
Swine flu, or H1N1, is caused by one of the influenza viruses. It is very contagious, and is often p...
Should my child get the nasal spray flu vaccine to avoid swine flu?
Note: A CDC panel concluded in 2016 that FluMist has not been effective in recent years. The panel d...
When should I call a doctor about my child's H1N1 flu symptoms?
If you believe your child has H1N1 flu symptoms, call the doctor—even if the symptoms aren't sev...