How long am I contagious if I have swine flu?

If you have swine flu (also called H1N1 flu), you can infect other people for five to seven days after you become sick. You are also contagious one day before you feel symptoms of the infection.

If you have swine flu (H1N1), you are contagious from about a day before your symptoms begin until your symptoms are gone - about eight days or so. You should limit your contact with other people while you have symptoms, to avoid spreading the disease.

Continue Learning about H1N1 (Swine Flu)

H1N1 (Swine Flu)

H1N1 (Swine Flu)

H1N1, or swine flu, is a strain of the influenza virus that was originally limited to pigs, and first detected in people in 2009. It is not considered particularly harmful in people with healthy immune systems; in people with comp...

romised immune systems, H1N1 can cause bacterial pneumonia, ear infections, bronchitis or sinus infections.