What are some surgical alternatives to total knee replacement surgery?

There are surgical options available that do not include total knee replacement surgery. These treatments may help to assuage pain and to improve mobility in an impaired knee without the need for a complete replacement of the joint with a mechanical knee. With arthroscopic surgery, the doctor can remove torn cartilage and other substances. During an osteotomy, a surgeon realigns the knee by sculpting either bone from the femur or tibia.

If you have a condition in which only one side of your knee is damaged by arthritis, a unicompartmental knee anthroplasty may be considered. This is a procedure that shows promise as a therapy for limited arthritic damage. During this procedure only the damaged sections are removed, reshaped and restored with metal and polyethylene substitutes. Approximately 6 percent of patients with arthritic knees are suitable candidates for this surgery. In the event that the other sides of the knee are affected by arthritis, a person can still elect to undergo total knee replacement surgery.

Another option to total knee replacement surgery is a procedure that produces minimal collateral tissue damage. Known as minimally invasive knee replacement, this procedure uses the same kind of implant but is a fairly new technique whereby the surgeon operates with a smaller incision. Consequently, scarring is minimized and there is reduced damage to the surround tissues. This also means less time spent in the hospital. But the procedure is a challenging one, requiring a variety of tools and instruments to work on the joint. Dependent upon the extent of damage to the knee and other health factors including obesity, this may not be the best option for some people.

If a patient also happens to have problems with his or hips requiring hip replacement surgery, it is advisable to undergo that surgery before surgical treatment of a knee. This is because in order to actively rehabilitate your knee following surgery, you will need to have optimal movement in your hip.

Keep in mind that each person's knee is slightly different, as is the damage to a knee. An orthopedic surgeon can advise you of the best treatments for your personal health.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

Scared About Surgery? Here’s How to Ease the Fear
You might be surprised by the power a Popsicle can wield when it comes to reassuring kids who need surgery. That’s a tip from Alexander Soutter, MD, ...
What side effects can colorectal surgery have on my sex life?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
If you are a man, an abdominoperineal (AP) resection may stop your erections or ability to reach org...
What is the process when I have an operation in the hospital?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
The process of having an operation in the hospital involves several steps: Upon arrival at the ho...
What Factors Should I Consider When Having Multiple Plastic Surgeries?