What medical staff are in the operating room during surgery?

The operating room team includes the surgeon, anesthesiologist, RN circulating nurse and a surgical tech.

During surgery there are a number of medical staff members in the operating room. There are usually one or two nurses, a scrub or surgical technician who helps ensure that the surgeon has the necessary tools, an assistant to the surgeon, possibly medical students and residents, and an anesthesiologist.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

What You Need to Know About Anesthesia
What You Need to Know About Anesthesia
If you’re planning to undergo surgery or a medical procedure in the near future, you probably have questions. People often wonder if their procedure w...
How does a hospital become a transplant center?
Ronald MartinRonald Martin
To become a transplant center, a hospital undergoes a rigorous application process. In this video, R...
What is minimally invasive surgery for pediatric procedures?
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SLRocky Mountain Hospital for Children at P/SL
Doctors use minimally invasive surgery when possible, including for pediatric procedures. Minimally ...
What Factors Should I Consider When Having Multiple Plastic Surgeries?