What medical staff are in the operating room during surgery?

During surgery there are a number of medical staff members in the operating room. There are usually one or two nurses, a scrub or surgical technician who helps ensure that the surgeon has the necessary tools, an assistant to the surgeon, possibly medical students and residents, and an anesthesiologist.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

What You Need to Know About Anesthesia
What You Need to Know About Anesthesia
If you’re planning to undergo surgery or a medical procedure in the near future, you probably have questions. People often wonder if their procedure w...
Can I accompany my child into the operating room when she has surgery?
Having a parent in the operating room may depend on the space and staff available to make it safe an...
How is bleeding controlled during surgery?
During surgery bleeding is normally controlled by either electrocauterization or direct ligation of ...
What side effects can colorectal surgery have on my sex life?
If you are a man, an abdominoperineal resection may stop your erections or ability to reach orgasm. ...