Is spine surgery safe?

Dr. Don Y. Park, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon

Spine surgery today is safe and effective if done for the right reasons, for the right person and for the right diagnosis. This requires that the surgeon is a good doctor who's able to diagnose things very well, and is an excellent detective of diagnosis and symptoms, and understands the pathology that is at hand. Doing surgery for the right reasons helps improve outcomes. So, good surgical indications will help this.

Dr. Arya Nick Shamie, MD
Neurosurgeon

Spine surgery has become a very safe and controlled procedure that can get people back to their life, although people are often fearful of having spine surgery because they have seen someone who had spine surgery and was debilitated. They may be suffering with pain for years, not wanting to come to see a spine surgeon because of that fear. Bad news travels faster than good news. Spine surgery is now a very safe procedure.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

Scared About Surgery? Here’s How to Ease the Fear
You might be surprised by the power a Popsicle can wield when it comes to reassuring kids who need surgery. That’s a tip from Alexander Soutter, MD, ...
Why do I need to have an empty stomach prior to surgery?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
It is very important that patients have an empty stomach before any surgery or procedure that needs ...
What happens during robotic spine surgery?
Reston Hospital CenterReston Hospital Center
The most common application of robotic spine surgery is putting screws in, so it's not much differen...
What Factors Should I Consider When Having Multiple Plastic Surgeries?