How is video-assisted thoracic surgery used in lung cancer?

Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) is a minimally invasive lung surgery that uses a scope to reach the cancer. Instead of a single long incision, VATS involves just three to four small incisions, a tiny video camera and special instruments. Pain, hospital stay, blood loss, recovery and risk of complication are less than with traditional surgery. Most surgical patients are eligible for VATS, and cancer control is equal to traditional lung cancer surgery.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

Tips to Help You Prepare for Surgery
Tips to Help You Prepare for Surgery
According to sports psychologist John Murray, PhD., the more success an athlete has achieved, the more likely it is that he or she will experience dep...
What Factors Should I Consider When Having Multiple Plastic Surgeries?
What Type of Plastic Surgeries Can Be Combined?
Is Disk Replacement Safe?
Is Disk Replacement Safe?