How can I explain what surgery is to my children?

To explain what surgery is to your children, tell them that surgery is a procedure that people have to come to the hospital for. Explain to your children that the doctor that does the surgery is called a surgeon and it is his or her job to fix a part of the body so that it is better or healthier. Explain to your children that kids have to have surgery for many reasons.

This content originally appeared on the Alliance for Kids website.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

Busting Organ Donation Myths
Busting Organ Donation Myths
This summer Jeni Stepien walked down the aisle in Swissvale, PA, arm-in-arm with the man whose life was saved 10 years ago by her murdered father’s do...
How can I modify my home to prevent injury after spine surgery?
Los Robles Hospital & Medical CenterLos Robles Hospital & Medical Center
When preparing your home for discharge after spine surgery, make sure any safety modifications are a...
What happens during robotic spine surgery?
Reston Hospital CenterReston Hospital Center
The most common application of robotic spine surgery is putting screws in, so it's not much differen...
What Type of Plastic Surgeries Can Be Combined?