How can I explain what surgery is to my children?

To explain what surgery is to your children, tell them that surgery is a procedure that people have to come to the hospital for. Explain to your children that the doctor that does the surgery is called a surgeon and it is his or her job to fix a part of the body so that it is better or healthier. Explain to your children that kids have to have surgery for many reasons.

This content originally appeared on the Alliance for Kids website.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

What You Need to Know About Anesthesia
What You Need to Know About Anesthesia
If you’re planning to undergo surgery or a medical procedure in the near future, you probably have questions. People often wonder if their procedure w...
Can reconstructive surgery help treat hearing loss from an ear abnormality?
David M. Vernick, MDDavid M. Vernick, MD
Reconstructive surgery is a complex surgical procedure intended to correct problems with the structu...
What should I do in the weeks leading up to spine surgery?
Los Robles Hospital & Medical CenterLos Robles Hospital & Medical Center
When preparing for spine surgery, there are a few general health guidelines that you should follow i...
What Type of Plastic Surgeries Can Be Combined?