How are electrosurgery and laser surgery used in oncology?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Electrosurgery is used in oncology to destroy cancerous or abnormal cells using a high-frequency current. Electrosurgery is most often used to treat cancers of the mouth and skin. Laser surgery uses beams of laser light to destroy cancer cells.

Ajay K. Sahajpal, MD
Transplant Surgery

Both of the above technologies are tools that can be used to destroy or ablate cancer cells. One uses electric current energy and the other uses light energy. Typically these are used in Head and Neck cancers such as in the oral cavity and sometimes the skin.

Continue Learning about Surgery For Cancer

Targeted Cancer Treatment…and…What’s Causing All These Outbreaks of Strange Diseases?
Q: My sister-in-law was diagnosed with chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) and she’s taking the targeted therapy Gleevec, which is working unbelievably wel...
What are the possible side effects of BMT and PBSCT?
Riverside Cancer Care CenterRiverside Cancer Care Center
The major risk of both treatments is an increased susceptibility to infection and bleeding as a resu...
How will my doctor decide if I should have robotic or open surgery?
Nimesh P. Nagarsheth, MDNimesh P. Nagarsheth, MD
Your oncologist will weigh medical history, co-morbidities and other factors when deciding betwe...
What Exactly Is a Laparoscopic Hysterectomy?