How does UVB radiation activate vitamin D?

UVB activates vitamin D through cholesterol. That's why your blood cholesterol levels rise in the winter. Because of the lack of sunlight, you don't have enough active vitamin D in winter, so your body pumps up your cholesterol in the hope of converting as much as possible to active vitamin D.

This serves as another example of an evolutionary trade-off between procreation and longevity. To protect us from deficiencies of vitamin D, we've evolved to have higher levels of cholesterol. So now we survive to mate and to be able to stand up strong and look good—only to be felled by high LDL cholesterol and consequent heart disease and stroke.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Sun Care

Can Music Therapy Help Ease Parkinson's Symptoms?
When Michael J. Fox rocked out on Johnny B. Goode with Cold Play during a concert at New Jersey’s MetLife Stadium in July 2016 it was wonderful to hea...
How effective is sun-protective clothing?
Phillip J. Landrigan, MDPhillip J. Landrigan, MD
Even if a piece of clothing has a good UPF (ultraviolet protection factor), what you do while we...
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
From sunburns to melasma, here's how to beat the heat.
Can I Take a Pill to Protect My Skin Against Cumulative Sun Exposure?