How do sunscreens prevent skin damage from the sun?

Sunscreens protect the skin from ultraviolet (UV) rays in two ways: chemically and physically.

Two kinds of UV rays from the sun reach the earth: UVA and UVB.

Sunscreens that work chemically absorb either or both types of UV rays, depending on the ingredients in the product. Ideally, chemical sunscreens will include ingredients to protect skin from both types of rays.

Sunscreens that work physically scatter or reflect both types of UV rays, by making an opaque barrier on the skin. Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are two ingredients used commonly in physical sunscreens.

Continue Learning about Sun Care

How Often Should I Replace My Sunscreen?
Why Is the Use of Sunscreen More Imperative Than Ever for Healthy Skin?
Are Waterproof Sunscreens Effective?
Are Waterproof Sunscreens Effective?
Can Sunburns Be Prevented?
Can Sunburns Be Prevented?