How do sunscreens prevent skin damage from the sun?

Sunscreens protect the skin from ultraviolet (UV) rays in two ways: chemically and physically.

Two kinds of UV rays from the sun reach the earth: UVA and UVB.

Sunscreens that work chemically absorb either or both types of UV rays, depending on the ingredients in the product. Ideally, chemical sunscreens will include ingredients to protect skin from both types of rays.

Sunscreens that work physically scatter or reflect both types of UV rays, by making an opaque barrier on the skin. Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are two ingredients used commonly in physical sunscreens.

Continue Learning about Sun Care

How to Choose and Use Your Sunscreen
How to Choose and Use Your Sunscreen
On an episode of Seinfeld, Jerry and Newman discover Kramer asleep on the roof, shirtless, on a very sunny day. “Oh man,” Kramer says when they wake h...
How effective are creams at treating melasma?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Creams containing hydroquinone as their active ingredient are often used to treat the condition. Oth...
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
From sunburns to melasma, here's how to beat the heat.
Can I Take a Pill to Protect My Skin Against Cumulative Sun Exposure?