How can I protect my baby's skin from the sun?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Babies' skin is much more vulnerable to the sun's rays than that of adults, or even that of older children. Your baby's skin will not show the effects of sun exposure right away, and their fragile skin can be damaged by the sun in as little as 15 minutes. It's a good idea to keep your baby away from direct sun exposure altogether. Keep your baby in the shade, and cover your baby's skin with clothing whenever possible. If your baby must be in the direct sunlight, check the labels on sunscreen before applying to the areas of your baby's skin that are exposed.

Catherine Balestra, MD
Dermatology

Your baby’s skin continues to develop and mature after birth and requires special care to protect it from the sun.  Here are some recommendations to keep your child’s skin protected.

• Sun avoidance by seeking shade is the surest way to decrease sun exposure.   Planning outdoor activities in the early morning, late afternoon, or evening prevents sun exposure during midday,  when the sun’s harmful rays are the strongest. 

• Sun protective clothing made of special UV (ultraviolet) blocking fabrics with long sleeves and pants keep your baby safely covered.  Hats with a 3-4 inch brim better protect baby’s face than caps or visors. 

•  And finally, sunscreen with a “Sun Protection Factor” (SPF) of 30 or higher can be used.  Importantly, children under 6 months of age may only use sunblocks with “physical blockers” that contain only either zinc oxide or titanium dioxide as the active ingredient(s).  Once your child is over 6 months old, he or she can continue to use these physical blockers, or you can choose to apply a “chemical sunscreen.”  Chemical sunscreens include all other active ingredients listed in sunscreens.  Examples of chemical sunscreens are avobenzone, salicylates, ecamsule, homosalate, etc.   

Continue Learning about Sun Care

Which flower helps reverse sun damage in my skin?
Watch this video to learn more from Dr. Mehmet Oz about how roses can help sun damaged skin.
Why is it important to apply recommended amounts of sunscreen?
Environmental Working Group (EWG)Environmental Working Group (EWG)
Numerous studies show that sunscreen users apply just one-fifth to a one-half the quantity of sunscr...
Can sun protection help reduce the signs of aging?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Use sun protection every day and year round to reduce the signs of aging. Don’t forget your neck and...
How can I acclimate my child to the sun?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
In order to protect your child from the sun and put him or her on the road to healthy sun play, ...