What should I do if I think someone is suicidal?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If you think someone is suicidal, do not leave him or her alone. Try to get the person to seek immediate help from his or her doctor or the nearest hospital emergency room, or call 911. Eliminate access to firearms or other potential tools for suicide, including unsupervised access to medications.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Mental Health.

What to do if someone you know is suicidal:
  • Trust your instincts that the individual is in danger and may attempt suicide.
  • Talk with that person and obtain appropriate mental health intervention for him or her.
  • Ask the person about his or her plan. If the person is able to explain the suicide plan in great detail, he or she is at greater risk.
  • Listen carefully.
  • Get professional help even if the person does not express any desire for it.
  • Never leave a suicidal person alone.
  • Never swear that you will keep secret the person's plan for suicide.
  • Do not judge the person.
  • Do not attempt to counsel the person.

Use the following resource:

National Suicide Hotline 1-800-SUICIDE (I-800-784-2433)

Continue Learning about Suicide & Suicidal Behavior

What are suicide triggers?
What are suicide triggers? Suicide triggers refer to factors about a person's condition and/or in th...
What questions should I ask a person who may be considering suicide?
What questions should I ask a person who may be considering suicide? You must be absolutely sincere ...
What are the possible consequences of a suicide attempt?
What are the possible consequences of a suicide attempt? After a suicide attempt, family, caregivers...
What are causes of suicide in South Africa?
What are causes of suicide in South Africa? South Africa has suffered from breakdowns in traditional...