How do medications treat subdural empyema?

Medications have an important role in the treatment of subdural empyema. To fight the infection, your doctor will administer antibiotics intravenously. You will need to continue the entire course of the antibiotic treatment, which typically lasts three to six weeks. In some cases, an anticonvulsant medication may be given to minimize the risk of seizures.

Continue Learning about Subdural Empyema

How can I manage my subdural empyema on a daily basis?
If you think you may have subdural empyema, you should not try to manage it yourself. Subdural empye...
Is subdural empyema serious?
Subdural empyema is serious and is considered a medical emergency. Treatment is available, but immed...
What factors indicate a favorable prognosis for subdural empyema?
If you have subdural empyema, early treatment typically leads to a more favorable prognosis. Other f...
How does subdural empyema affect the body?
Subdural empyema develops because an infection enters the space between the middle and outer layers ...