How does stridor occur in the body?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Stridor occurs when the upper part of the respiratory system, including the windpipe and sinuses, is blocked. In most cases, the high-pitched sound can be heard when you inhale. However, the sound and when stridor is heard can depend on where the obstruction is located.

Continue Learning about Stridor

How do medications treat stridor?
Medications can be given to you orally or by injection to address the swelling in the larynx or othe...
How do I manage stridor on a daily basis?
For children with croup-related stridor, steam treatments and cool mist vaporizers can be used daily...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with stridor?
If you care for someone with stridor, you should consult a physician to diagnose the underlying heal...
How do other illnesses affect stridor?
Stridor is a symptom of other illnesses and health problems. For example, croup can cause inflammati...