Why is it healthy to hum?

Stressed out because you've got too much to do and too little time to do it? Hum.

Humming has been scientifically proved to boost nitric oxide (NO), a nifty little body gas that, in small doses, has a stress-reducing effect.

All of us produce NO in our respiratory tract, according to Wechsler. But it's produced most notably in the sinuses. Humming affects the airflow between the sinuses and the nasal cavity in a way that creates more NO, a gas that promotes wound healing, new collagen formation and better blood flow in the skin.

Continue Learning about Stress

News: Intense Stress May Raise Risk for Autoimmune Disease
People who have stress-related disorders tied to traumatic life events have an increased risk for autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, accor...
How can reading help me relax?
The Medical Center of AuroraThe Medical Center of Aurora
Reading is a natural way to stay calm and relax. Devices like televisions, tablets and computers emi...
8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By
8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By8 Stress Relief Tricks ER Doctors Swear By
Try these expert-approved tips the next time you're feeling overwhelmed.
How Can Stress Affect My Hormones?
How Can Stress Affect My Hormones?