Where can I seek help for managing stress related to my heart problem?

A heart attack or diagnosis of heart disease is a stressful life event. Over the long term, your body’s stress response can actually contribute to heart disease, so managing stress is an important part of maintaining your heart health.
It never hurts to seek help to manage your stress. Stress can be very overwhelming for the healthiest person. But other medical problems, such as clinical depression, or a general lack of energy relating to heart failure or having had heart surgery, can make it more difficult or even impossible to see your own way out of stressful situations. Counseling from a licensed therapist, psychologist, or psychiatrist may help you work through the process of identifying and managing stress in your life. 
Keep in mind, some medical conditions such as anxiety disorders or depression may require medications to help minimize stress. Your doctor will be able to determine if medications are necessary for you.
You may also be interested in taking a stress management class offered through a community college, cardiac rehab program, or hospital. They often last 10 to 12 weeks and teach you a variety of stress management techniques.

Continue Learning about Stress

Where to Turn Your Eyes for Stress Relief
Next time you feel like you're about to lose it, switch off your computer monitor and take a look out the window. New research shows it might be just...
How can I know if stress triggers my bipolar disorder symptoms?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
For many people with bipolar disorder, stress triggers symptoms, and if you're already experienc...
7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body
7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body7 Ways Stress Can Harm Your Body
Stress isn't just bad for your mental health—it can harm your physical health as well. Learn how, plus smart strategies to help you take control.
How Can Drinking Tea Help Relieve Stress?