Where can I seek help for managing stress related to my heart problem?

A heart attack or diagnosis of heart disease is a stressful life event. Over the long term, your body’s stress response can actually contribute to heart disease, so managing stress is an important part of maintaining your heart health.
It never hurts to seek help to manage your stress. Stress can be very overwhelming for the healthiest person. But other medical problems, such as clinical depression, or a general lack of energy relating to heart failure or having had heart surgery, can make it more difficult or even impossible to see your own way out of stressful situations. Counseling from a licensed therapist, psychologist, or psychiatrist may help you work through the process of identifying and managing stress in your life. 
Keep in mind, some medical conditions such as anxiety disorders or depression may require medications to help minimize stress. Your doctor will be able to determine if medications are necessary for you.
You may also be interested in taking a stress management class offered through a community college, cardiac rehab program, or hospital. They often last 10 to 12 weeks and teach you a variety of stress management techniques.

Continue Learning about Stress

Give Stress the Soft Touch
Give Stress the Soft Touch
If your worries are following you around like a long afternoon shadow, here's a fun way to give them the slip: Spend 30 minutes cuddling on the couch...
3 Stress Management Practices That Increase Our Empathy
Divided, We Suffer Concentrating on what divides us may feed our anger and righteousness, but it doesn’t feed our hearts and our health. Of course it’...
A Healthy Way to Handle Everyday Stress
A Healthy Way to Handle Everyday Stress
An aggravating work email; a spat with your spouse; the dog gets sick, making you late for work … While little stressors like these are part of everyd...
How can I prevent my stress from harming my child?
Kynthia JamesKynthia James
Stress unfortunately is a normal part of living and it is important that we learn healthy ways of de...