How do I manage my strep throat?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If you have strep throat, make sure you take the antibiotics your doctor prescribed according to the directions. Do not stop taking it just because your symptoms have lessoned. You will put yourself at risk for the infection coming back, if you do so. Stay away from work or school for at least 24 hours after having started your antibiotic treatment. This way you won't put anyone else at risk for the infection.

You can also drink liquids, get good rest, eat soft and bland food, and take over-the-counter pain relievers to help you feel better. You might try gargling salt water frequently, as well, to alleviate pain.

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics

Managing your strep throat starts with getting tested so you know if you have strep throat or simply a viral throat infection. Just because your throat feels like it is on fire and you can barely take a sip of water does not mean you have strep throat. This just means you should be checked for strep throat. 

Once you test positive for strep throat, you should take ALL of the antibiotic pills prescribed by your physician. If you do not take the antibiotics for yourself, take them for your children. If you inadequately treat your strep, you can pass it on to your children. They are more at risk than you for rheumatic heart disease as a complication. Until the antibiotics are finished, stay away from very hard, hot or extremely spicy foods as they may irritate your raw throat.

Continue Learning about Strep Throat

What can I do to help prevent strep throat?
To prevent spreading strep throat, avoid sharing cups, utensils and toothbrushes with others. Good h...
Why do I keep getting white patches on my tonsils?
If you have white patches on your tonsils, you may have strep throat. Strep is short for the bac...
Should I talk to a doctor about my strep throat symptoms?
Strep throat will need medical treatment to keep it from turning into a more serious illness, like r...
How is strep throat treated?
Strep throat is treated with antibiotics. Typically, penicillin or amoxicillin is given in a 10 day ...