Can pelvic inflammatory disease be spread through oral sex?

Even though pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) is often caused by sexually transmitted diseases, it's rarely spread through oral sex. PID infects the upper reproductive organs, so it's not as easy for bacteria to spread there if it's contracted during oral sex. The STDs that most commonly lead to PID are gonorrhea and chlamydia, and though it's rare, they still may be spread through oral sex. Because of this, it's important to limit your number of sex partners and know your sex partners' sexual history.

Continue Learning about STDs

What to Do When You Get an STD
What to Do When You Get an STD
In 2012, an Oregon woman who sued her date for giving her genital herpes won $900,000. And one tycoon allegedly paid $52 million for giving chlamydia ...
How common is trichomoniasis in women?
About 3.7 million people have trichomoniasis, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and ...
What causes urethritis?
Peter C. Fisher, MDPeter C. Fisher, MD
Urethritis can be caused by a bacterial or viral infection. Such an infection can lead to conditions...
Dr. Diane Harper - Could I have human papillomavirus (HPV) even if my pap test was normal?