What does squamous cell carcinoma mean?

Squamous cell carcinoma is a type of skin cancer that can affect any area of your body. When present on the penis, it is called penile cancer. Squamous cells are skin cells below the outer layer of skin (epidermis). Your skin regularly renews itself by generating new skin cells, which move from below the epidermis to the outer layer of skin. When DNA (your genetic material) is damaged, often through ultraviolet (UV) radiation from sunlight or tanning beds, this renewal process is corrupted, and cells grow unchecked.

Continue Learning about Squamous Cell Carcinoma

5 Answers About Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) is the second most common form of skin cancer, after basal cell carcinoma. It is also known as cutaneous squamous cell c...
Systemic Therapies for Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma (cSCC) is a type of skin cancer that begins in the squamous cells found in the outer layers of the skin. In most cas...
Should I talk to my doctor about my squamous cell carcinoma symptoms?
If you notice symptoms of squamous cell carcinoma, you should talk to your doctor. Symptoms are ofte...
Is squamous cell carcinoma serious?
All types of cancer are serious, but fortunately, squamous cell carcinoma is very treatable and is r...