How should I pace the run of my triathlon?

Remember your heart rate is going to be elevated by the time you get to the run portion of the race. You have been exerting yourself for at least 45 minutes, and as such, even with the best nutrition and hydration plan, you are going to be somewhat depleted. You can’t gauge your run pace on heart rate alone for this very reason- it is going to be high, while your pace may be lower than what you can reasonably sustain for the remainder of the race. Instead have a pace range for each mile. A 30 second range should be ample for varying terrain. If you know you can run a 10k in 44 minutes (7:05 threshold pace), it is reasonable to expect to run a 46 to 48 minute 10k off the bike. In order to execute that, you would want to shoot for an even 7:25-7:45 minute mile. Don’t go out at a 6:55 pace for the first mile and be reduced to a walk or a 10 min pace by the last. Instead, hold yourself back a bit. You can increase your cadence, your foot speed, but keep the effort relatively easy (no higher than a 6 or 7 in the first mile of the run). By the time you reach the half way point of the run your RPE can be up around an 8 or 9, but not before the half way point

Continue Learning about Sports & Athletic Performance

How can I use VO2 data to improve my fight performance?
V02 data, also known as VO2 max, maximum aerobic capacity, or maximum oxygen uptake, can help yo...
As a retired athlete, how can I include sports in my life?
Mr. Keith Elmore, NASM Elite TrainerMr. Keith Elmore, NASM Elite Trainer
After retiring from a sport, especially if it was your profession, can leave one dealing with a sens...
What is the difference between training indoors and outdoors?
There's good scientific reason why there is a difference between outdoor and indoor exercise. It sta...
How Precise Can You Fine-Tune an Athlete?