Can I take medications or supplements while on the FODMAP elimination diet?

Patsy Catsos
If you take any medications or use any other treatments for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), do not change them during the basic phase of the FODMAPS elimination diet. The FODMAPS elimination diet is based on limiting "FODMAPS" in the diet. FODMAPS stands for Fermentable Oligo-, Di- and Mono-saccharides And Polyols. Specifically, some of the dietary carbohydrates described by the term FODMAPS are lactose, fructose, fructans, polyols and galactans. These are sugars, starches and fibers in food that some people cannot fully digest and absorb.

There are two exceptions to taking medications on the FODMAPS elimination diet. One: If you use a bulk fiber laxative, consult your health care provider or check the manufacturer's web site to make sure it does not contain fermentable carbohydrates (FODMAPS). Citrucel is one brand which claims to be 100 percent non-fermentable; therefore, it does not contain FODMAPS. Two: If you use a probiotic supplement that includes FOS (fructo-oligosaccharides), you may want to consider switching to a similar supplement without FOS for the duration of the basic diet, because FOS is a FODMAPS carbohydrate.
IBS: Free at Last! Change Your Carbs, Change Your Life with the FODMAP Elimination Diet, 2nd Edition

IBS should not make you skip a beat—get your groove back! Tired of missing the fun because of your irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)? Confused about what to eat? Think you’re the only one who feels...

Continue Learning about Special Diets

Does Being Vegetarian Cause Kidney Stones?
Are you thinking about becoming a vegetarian to support your good health. Along with eating more vegetables, should you be more concerned about develo...
What should I know before I try a low salt diet?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
Our bodies do need a small amount of salt but we tend to overdo it. Eating too much salt can affect ...
What are the risks of being on a renal failure diet?
Cathy SilvaCathy Silva
The renal diet is designed to compensate for the lack of kidney function. The risk of not following ...
Do Probiotics Have Any Side Effects?
Do Probiotics Have Any Side Effects?