What is sodium?

Toby Smithson

Sodium is a mineral that is essential to the body for helping to maintain proper fluid balance, regulating your blood pressure, transmitting nerve impulses, and helping your muscles relax. Sodium is one of the electrolytes as is potassium. Sodium is often referred to as salt but salt actually is 40% sodium and 60% chloride. Sodium is needed by the body but we tend to get one and a half times more than what we need on a daily basis.

Continue Learning about Sodium

How do I buy low sodium foods?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Reducing sodium intake is an important step in maintaining a healthy blood pressure. When it com...
How can I eat less salt to stop my stomach from bloating?
The American Heart Association suggests that only 1,500-2,300 milligrams of sodium should be consume...
How Much Salt In the Diet Is Too Much?
How Much Salt In the Diet Is Too Much?
What Can I Do to Remove Extra Sodium from Capers?