How much sodium do I need to stay young?

Most reputable medical associations, including the U.S. Surgeon General's Office, the National Institutes of Health, the National Academy of Science's Research Council, and countless experts in the field, suggest that sodium intake should not exceed 2,400 mg (about a teaspoon of salt) a day. I go further and suggest that for the maximum age reduction benefit of sodium, you try to keep sodium consumption to less than 1,600 milligrams (mg) a day. A fifty-five-year-old man who has consistently consumed only 1,600 mg of sodium a day is as much as 2.8 years younger than his counterpart who has paid no attention to sodium intake.

Continue Learning about Sodium

How can eating too much salt or sodium harm my health?
Janis Jibrin, MS, RDJanis Jibrin, MS, RD
One of the triggers of heart disease and stroke is high blood pressure, or hypertension. Eating too ...
How can eating salt affect my mood?
Here's something potato chip addicts around the world might already suspect: Our bodies may equate s...
Surprising Calorie Shockers
Surprising Calorie Shockers
4 Ways to Cut Back on Sodium
4 Ways to Cut Back on Sodium