How much sodium do I need to stay young?

Most reputable medical associations, including the U.S. Surgeon General's Office, the National Institutes of Health, the National Academy of Science's Research Council, and countless experts in the field, suggest that sodium intake should not exceed 2,400 mg (about a teaspoon of salt) a day. I go further and suggest that for the maximum age reduction benefit of sodium, you try to keep sodium consumption to less than 1,600 milligrams (mg) a day. A fifty-five-year-old man who has consistently consumed only 1,600 mg of sodium a day is as much as 2.8 years younger than his counterpart who has paid no attention to sodium intake.

Continue Learning about Sodium

Why is too much salt a health risk?
Mary MullenMary Mullen
People who eat a diet high in sodium (salt) are at increased risk for high blood pressure, heart...
How does eating too much salt affect health?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
High sodium intake is predictive of increased death from heart attacks. A study of adults with p...
What Can I Do to Remove Extra Sodium from Capers?
Surprising Calorie Shockers
Surprising Calorie Shockers