How can reducing salt intake affect my blood pressure?

Reducing sodium in the diet can reduce systolic blood pressure (SBP) by about 1 to 5 mm Hg. The more you reduce sodium, the lower your blood pressure. However reducing dietary sodium is very hard for individuals to do. Most of the sodium we eat, about 75 percent or more, comes from packaged, processed and restaurants foods. Only a small amount of sodium comes from salt added during cooking or at the table.

On a population basis, the health and economic benefits of sodium reduction are huge. One study estimated that reducing average population dietary sodium to 2300 mg per day may reduce cases of high blood pressure by 11 million, save $18 billion health care dollars, and gain 312,000 Quality Adjusted Life Years.

If you consume a lot of salt, you should cut down for better health. Doing so may help lower your blood pressure but probably not enough to avoid medications.

Continue Learning about Sodium

How can I reduce my sodium intake when dining out?
Emilia KlappEmilia Klapp
Start by asking the waiter or the cook to prepare the food with no salt or very little salt. Try the...
Which processed foods are the highest in sodium?
Emilia KlappEmilia Klapp
About 75% of the salt we eat daily comes from processed foods. Although some foods are advertised as...
How to Eat Less Salt and Lower Your Stroke Risk
How Much Salt In the Diet Is Too Much?
How Much Salt In the Diet Is Too Much?