How can I reduce salt in my diet?

Eating a diet low in sodium helps lower blood pressure, and therefore, heart disease risk. It may seem like a difficult goal at first to limit salt intake, but sodium is an acquired taste: with persistence, it is possible to become accustomed to the taste of lower sodium foods.

The Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (or DASH) diet is a famous heart-healthy eating plan. It was developed from research to determine what combination of foods helps to lower blood pressure. The DASH diet is low in saturated fat and cholesterol, and high in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat dairy products. One part of the study compared various sodium levels to see if blood pressure was affected. The results were dramatic and showed that the lower the intake of sodium, the lower the blood pressures were for participants.

A daily intake of 1,500 milligrams of sodium is recommended by the American Heart Association for people with heart disease. This may seem drastic to most Americans, who generally consume more than 3,000 milligrams per day. Committing to a plan to lower your salt intake over time can help your taste buds readjust to the flavors of food without high-salt content. In reducing your salt intake, be sure to follow your physician’s recommendations if you have cardiovascular disease.

Keep in mind processed, convenience foods generally have more sodium. And chances are they have more saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol, which are more reasons to avoid them.

Follow these general tips to help you reduce your sodium intake:
  • Try limiting meals to 400 to 500 milligrams of sodium or less.
  • Try aiming for 200 milligrams of sodium or less at snack time.
  • Put away the saltshaker. Replace it with any sodium-free spice mix, which you can keep on the table or at the stove.
  • Add flavor to foods with roasted garlic, caramelized onion, fresh herbs, citrus, wine, fruit juices and homemade chicken stock. 
  • Avoid canned foods, unless choosing a product specifically made without sodium, such as fruits, some salt-free vegetables or tomato products.
  • Limit processed convenience foods such as frozen meals and pizzas.
  • Avoid frozen vegetables with sauces.
  • Try to eat out only once per week or even less often.
  • Limit fast foods, especially fried foods.
  • Limit cheeses; choose Swiss cheese for its low sodium content.
  • Limit commercially baked items such as breads, cakes, cookies, etc.
Limit condiments, such as ketchup, mustard, soy sauce and marinades.

Continue Learning about Sodium

When can a low-salt diet be harmful?
Pierre DukanPierre Dukan
People with natural low blood pressure and those who are used to using salt on their food should...
How can I make sure I'm getting the right amount of salt?
Yes, your body needs sodium. Salt regulates blood pressure and keeps your muscles and nerves humming...
How much sodium is in table salt?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Table salt is made up of two minerals: sodium and chloride. Common table salt is 40% sodium and 60...
What Can I Do to Remove Extra Sodium from Capers?