How can I reduce salt when I cook?

Marisa Moore
Try these strategies to reduce salt when you cook:
  • Use fresh garlic, onion and shallots to add flavor not salt.
  • Experiment with a variety of spices like smoked paprika to add tons of flavor without salt.
  • Dried herbs are convenient but try fresh basil, oregano, cilantro or rosemary to really punch up the flavor in your favorite dishes. Keep an herb garden to keep these within easy reach.
  • Marinate fish, chicken and meat in citrus juices which are flavorful and reduce the need for saltiness.
  • Flavored vinegars make a great flavor addition to vegetables. Try drizzling balsamic vinegar over roasted vegetables.
  • Buy no-salt added canned tomatoes and beans and frozen veggies instead of those with added salt, seasonings and sauces. Add your own seasonings.
  • Cut back on salty meats and cheeses in recipes.
  • Cut back on the recommended salt listed for recipes. Except when baking, many recipes taste great without so much sodium. You can always add a touch more when it's done if needed. 

Continue Learning about Sodium

How can I help my family eat less salt?
Mary MullenMary Mullen
Here are a few ways you can help your family shake the salt habit: Prepare foods with less, and ev...
How can sodium affect my bones?
Too much sodium (dietary salt) can cause you to excrete excessive amounts of calcium in your urine, ...
How much salt should I eat per day for lower blood pressure?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Eating too much salt (which is 40% sodium) raises blood pressure while cutting back on salt lowe...
What are the main sources of sodium or salt in the American diet?
Janis Jibrin, MS, RDJanis Jibrin, MS, RD
According to the Centers for Disease Control National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, the t...