How can eating disorders lead to sodium metabolism disorders?

Eating disorders can lead to fluid and electrolyte imbalances in the body, which can lead to sodium metabolism disorders. Both anorexia and bulimia can lead to dehydration and electrolyte imbalances. Malnutrition from either disorder can prevent the body from receiving the nutrients it needs (including sodium), and this can lead to sodium concentrations becoming imbalanced. Vomiting and laxative use, in the case of bulimia, can also disrupt the fluid and electrolyte balance of the body. Treatment for sodium metabolism disorders caused by eating disorders will depend upon the severity of the sodium imbalance and upon addressing the eating disorder itself to restore proper nutrition.

Continue Learning about Sodium Metabolism Disorders

Are sodium metabolism disorders life-threatening?
Whether or not a sodium metabolism disorder is life-threatening depends upon several factors, includ...
How can antidiuretic hormone affect sodium metabolism disorders?
Syndrome of Inappropriate Antidiuretic Hormone secretion (SIADH) occurs when the pituitary gland sec...
Should I talk to my doctor about my sodium metabolism disorder?
Sodium metabolism disorders can be severe and even fatal, so if you suspect you or someone you love ...
Are there cures for sodium metabolism disorders?
The cure for a sodium metabolism disorder involves identifying and remedying the underlying cause of...