How much of my leg should be covered by a soccer shin guard?

In all competitive soccer leagues, it is a requirement for each player to wear shin guards. Although there is not a universal rule for shin guards, the general guideline is for the shin guard to mold to your shin, extending from right below the knee down to right above the ankle. FIFA, world's soccer governing body, lists three requirements for each player's shin guards. They must be:
  • entirely covered by the stockings (socks)
  • made of rubber, plastic, or a similar suitable material
  • provide a reasonable degree of protection
Although these requirements are very subjective, the main purpose of shin guards is protection. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Soccer

What should soccer players do to prevent groin injuries?
Soccer players should perform a comprehensive program including flexibility and strength trainin...
Should I try to do extra work outside of soccer practice if I am injured?
Be sure to follow the guidance of your doctor and physical therapist if you are injured.  They w...
Which style of shin guard should I use for soccer?
Advanced players prefer the hard, plastic shin guard. They’re lightweight and offer better protectio...
As a soccer player, should I do anything prior to going for a jog?
It is important to incorporate a comprehensive warm-up strategy to prevent injury and maximize p...