Will quitting smoking reduce my risk for circulatory disorders?

Smoking does a real job on your arteries, so quitting smoking will only reduce your risk of a circulatory disorder -- problems related to your arteries and blood vessels.

Smoking damages your arteries and causes them to harden and narrow. When you quit smoking, your heart rate and pulse lower, and your arteries open back up. This allows blood to flow freely to your organs. In about five years after quitting, your arteries may return to normal. reducing your risk for heart disease, stroke and circulatory disorders.
Quitting before age 30 reduces the risk factors for smoking-related illnesses to those of a nonsmoker, including circulatory diseases. After quitting for 5 to 15 years, a smoker’s risk for circulatory disease is significantly reduced.
Robert S. Kaufmann, MD
Tobacco definitely causes problems with platelets which makes them stick in atheroma plaques which are cholesterol plaques in blood vessels, so if you quit smoking the platelets should flow through easier and should make that problem less and less.

Yes.  If you quit before age 35 and before you have smoked a pack a day for 20 years, that is what we call 20 pack years, as long as you are below that, you will almost, over a 5 year period, be able to return your arteries, that is the arteries to your heart, your head, your sexual organs, even your face, to normal.  You will notice this pretty quickly as stopping smoking allows the inner cells of your arteries, called the endothelial cells, to start producing the nitric oxide gas that allows them to dilate normally.  That is why erections, sex, and your face, get to look so much better so quicker.  That takes about 6 months of no tobacco, including no second-hand smoke.  Over 5 years, you start to pull plaque out of arteries and the inflammatory changes in plaque out of the arteries that were caused by smokes effect on cholesterol in the artery wall.  So, the answer is definitely yes.  Peripheral vascular disease, stroke, heart disease, memory loss, impotence, even wrinkling of the skin, all are lessened when you quit tobacco.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
What should I eat while quitting smoking?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Don't stress over your eating pattern. Just try to make healthy food choices as you begin to increas...
What is the first thing I should do if I want to quit smoking?
Andrea S. Wolf, MDAndrea S. Wolf, MD
Think about yourself and what drives you to smoke. That will help you adjust behaviors/conditions th...
Treating Depression May Help Smokers Kick the Habit