Will quitting smoking reduce my risk for circulatory disorders?

Yes.  If you quit before age 35 and before you have smoked a pack a day for 20 years, that is what we call 20 pack years, as long as you are below that, you will almost, over a 5 year period, be able to return your arteries, that is the arteries to your heart, your head, your sexual organs, even your face, to normal.  You will notice this pretty quickly as stopping smoking allows the inner cells of your arteries, called the endothelial cells, to start producing the nitric oxide gas that allows them to dilate normally.  That is why erections, sex, and your face, get to look so much better so quicker.  That takes about 6 months of no tobacco, including no second-hand smoke.  Over 5 years, you start to pull plaque out of arteries and the inflammatory changes in plaque out of the arteries that were caused by smokes effect on cholesterol in the artery wall.  So, the answer is definitely yes.  Peripheral vascular disease, stroke, heart disease, memory loss, impotence, even wrinkling of the skin, all are lessened when you quit tobacco.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

How do I choose a stop-smoking treatment?
Dr. Joseph I. Miller, MDDr. Joseph I. Miller, MD
Patients should first start with a discussion with physcian and then a decision can be made together...
How can quitting smoking help my legs?
SCAISCAI
Smoking is the number one risk factor associated with peripheral artery disease (PAD). Smoking is ba...
Do insurance companies cover nicotine patches for smoking cessation?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
Many do but you need to check with your insurance company on that. If they do, they will not usually...
How do I avoid a relapse after quitting smoking?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The following are tips for remaining tobacco-free: Track your journey. Nothing motivates like succ...