What habits should I change if I want to quit smoking?

It helps to avoid not just the cigarettes, but anything you associate with smoking. For some people this may be coffee or alcohol. Others do not need to avoid these things and, in fact, find coffee or iced tea helpful. Others drink lots of water, fruit juice, and herbal teas. Eating several small meals instead of a big one keeps blood sugar levels constant, which helps quell the nicotine craving. Avoid behaviors and situations you associate with smoking. If you used to smoke right after meals, try doing something else at that time, such as taking a walk or doing the dishes. In addition, do positive things that boost your self-image. Go to the dentist and have your teeth cleaned. You might also have the dentist whiten them or try some whitening strips yourself: Remember, you're no longer a smoker. Have your smoky-smelling clothes cleaned at the dry cleaners. Reward yourself.
The RealAge Makeover: Take Years off Your Looks and Add Them to Your Life

Why not live at 60 feeling like you did at 35?Thousands of Americans are younger today than they were five years ago. How is that possible? By following the specific recommendations that reverse...

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
How can in-person counseling help me quit smoking?
SCAISCAI
Remember, you don’t have to quit smoking alone. In fact, you will be more successful if you rely on ...
What are the long-term benefits of quitting smoking?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
The long-term benefits of quitting smoking include the following: 1 year after quitting, the exc...
Do I need to quit smoking before heart surgery?