What can I do to quit smoking if I have emphysema?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Smoking is addictive and that can make it incredibly hard to quit, but if you have emphysema, it might be a matter of life or death. If you are serious about quitting, there are several techniques you can try to improve your chances. Start by picking a date to quit. This might sound silly, but it can help. As you approach that date, try to cut back on the number of cigarettes you smoke. In the meantime, you can also try attending a support group for people who are quitting smoking. Talking about the difficulties of quitting and hearing other people's stories can help. Nicotine gum or a nicotine patch might help as well. If nothing seems to work, try talking to your doctor about getting a prescription for bupropion or varenicline. Both of these drugs may help reduce your desire for a cigarette.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

How long do I have to quit smoking until my lifespan goes up significantly?
You get one year of life back after three months of quitting, two years after five months, three yea...
How should I prepare for the day I quit smoking?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
There is no one right way to quit. Most smokers prefer to quit cold turkey -- they stop completely, ...
How can I get support from others when I quit smoking?
You can get support from others when you quit smoking by telling your family, friends and coworkers ...
How do I avoid a relapse after quitting smoking?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The following are tips for remaining tobacco-free: Track your journey. Nothing motivates like succ...