What can I do to quit smoking if I have emphysema?

Smoking is addictive and that can make it incredibly hard to quit, but if you have emphysema, it might be a matter of life or death. If you are serious about quitting, there are several techniques you can try to improve your chances. Start by picking a date to quit. This might sound silly, but it can help. As you approach that date, try to cut back on the number of cigarettes you smoke. In the meantime, you can also try attending a support group for people who are quitting smoking. Talking about the difficulties of quitting and hearing other people's stories can help. Nicotine gum or a nicotine patch might help as well. If nothing seems to work, try talking to your doctor about getting a prescription for bupropion or varenicline. Both of these drugs may help reduce your desire for a cigarette.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
How should I prepare for the day I quit smoking?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
There is no one right way to quit. Most smokers prefer to quit cold turkey -- they stop completely, ...
How can I help a friend or family member who is trying to quit smoking?
You can be a great help to a friend or family member who is trying to quit smoking. But if you'r...
A Smart Combo to Quit Smoking
A Smart Combo to Quit Smoking